Reanimar




REANIMAR

Her eyes twinkled. Admiring the magical star-filled sky, she was lost in thoughts. Cold, chilly wind blew, arching the pine trees that stood gallant along the slopes. It was overwhelmingly peaceful. She felt she was an integral part of nature.

The steep bents got increased leading to a narrow road fully lined with trees that formed a tunnel-like structure blocking out the sun. It began to get colder, as the car was ascending. Gary, a young lad at the window seat was thrilled- only a month ago he had happened to experience the mesmerizing earth through his eyes for the first time. Beside sat his mother Bella, delightfully watching her son. She took out her diary and continued writing. Her appearance was a proof of her strong personality. In the front seat, an old man sat with a sober expression. He sat numb and seemed to be submerged in deep thoughts. He kept twisting his fingers. The driver had never come across a tourist, so grave. Bella was a book editor. The old man sat like a statue. Soon they arrived at a homestay.
"When are we going to explore the place?!", asked Gary.
Bella consoled him. Situated by the window, the old man was gaping out at the mountain Harebells lurching in the wind.
He spoke out finally "Harebells... Shakespeare's the azured harebells!"
 Bella went to her father and peered at the flowers. "Dad please don't be so gloomy. Gary has got back his vision, he is full of life. Look at him...so happy he is...at least for his sake please be gentle to him."
The next morning, the mountains dropped its veil and the sun gleamed brightly. Gary went out and was perplexed by the breathtaking beauty of nature - the gentle rising and falling of the slopes, the ice radiating like pearls on the peaks, the mountains sunbathing, birds singing,  various flowers merry in bloom, with the clouds playing hide and seek. The warmth of the sun in the cold weather hatched the beauty of the mountains.
After breakfast, they left for touring.
The old man with his camera captured the picturesque.
Upon returning in the eve they got to know there would be a bonfire in the garden.
Little Gary was overjoyed. The old man went inside and Gary went to fetch him. He refused to go. The baby boy started nagging continuously, which infuriated the old man. He shouted, "Stop it, get away! Bella take this brat out right now!"
Terrified little boy ran away crying.
"Dad please!", saying this Bella stormed out of the room.

At night, Bella cradled Gary and put him to bed.
Bella went to her father and yelled "How can you be so wicked to a six-year-old? You are his grandfather! What has he done to deserve this, this behavior is unquestionably wrong!
Always having a gloomy expression, discontented at every single thing!! What is your problem Dad? Do you think I'm putting up a play here?! Do you know how hard it is for me I had planned this trip for you and Gary...only to rekindle both of you and make you happy, and here's what I get?....."

The old man opened the door and went out leaving a sobbing daughter.

He was walking by the road when he suddenly saw a little girl sitting on a rock, gazing at the sky.
He went and asked "What are you doing here alone?"
There was no reply.
He asked again "Where is your family? What are you doing solely at this hour?"

"There's no one...they left me forever"

"Who left you?"

"For the past few days I haven't seen a single shooting star. My grandfather first had shown me a shooting star. He used to tell me that there's a rabbit on the moon! "
The little girl with her tiny pigtails tilted her head. Pink ribbons danced with her crowning her hair. Her eyes twinkled full of wonder.

The old man listened with his eyes wide.
He gradually slid down the memory lane.
"Rabbit on the moon?! Waow...so did you get a glimpse of it?" He laughed heartily.

"No but I believe I would...I had seen...in a book there were rabbits..." and she blowed out her cheeks.
"Grandpa had promised me that he would sit with me below the star-filled sky, high in the mountains, and tell me stories and we would gaze and gaze until we fall asleep. Will you take me to the rabbits ? Will you tell me storiesof the moon?" Her request melted his heart, a deep blow right at his heart...such a lovely smile she had...he so much wanted to take her to the moon, he so much wanted to narrate stories all night, to make her dream come true... ignoring every reality... 

The girl was remarkably beautiful like a fairy! Her dark long hair fell upon her shoulders like waterfalls. She looked at the old man. Her eyes were like stars.
The innocence was eminent. She looked magical in the moonlight.

The girl said, "You know what happens when people open their hearts?.....
They get better!"
An instant smile spread over his face, "Hey little dame, you quote Murakami!"

After so long, the old man had a smile on his face...

Tears rolled down his cheeks as he went and sat beside her.

He spoke out, "My wife who was my support died due to brain tumor. She suffered a lot. I couldn't bear her numb in pain. She had stitches all over her head."...his voice broke...
"Since then my granddaughter was my strength, my life. I had a granddaughter... just like you. Beautiful, lively, full of life, like a little flower. She was the only reason I felt extant."
Crying after so long made him pour out vigorously.
"My granddaughter died of kidney failure...I couldn't look at her lifeless body! My whole world had crumbled down. I felt as if I was deprived of breathing. I could not believe I lost her. It seemed as if someone was trying to pull out my heart."

He sobbed a bit more and looked at his side. There was no one...
He was bewildered, a wave of terror went through him. He looked around, there was none to be seen.
After the death of his granddaughter, his daughter, Bella was the one who took care. She with her unfortunate blind son and depressed father dreamt of a fruitful future.

The old man hastily went back, Gary was asleep.
He went and pulled Gary tightly into a warm embrace. Such a beautiful scene it was! 
The old man held him with trembling hands and watery eyes ...
Awaken Gary cried in glee "Gra-a-a-n-n-d-p-a-a!'

                                                                                                   
                                                                                                             Riddhi Chakraborty

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts